Thursday, November 19, 2009

Finals/Goodbye-UCT

I am finally finished with the long and drawn out process that is finals at UCT. They were 3 weeks of exams plus a study week and after having a final on the first and last day I feel like I can appropriately say there are plusses and minuses to the American system and the South African system of exam schedules.

I can understand the reasoning for such a long exam period. When the final grade is over half based on the final exam, studying is a very important commodity. The lengthening of the exam schedule provides students with less stress because they have more time to study. Also, because of the formality of the tests with a certain number of desks in between each student and so such, only a few venues could be used to accommodate the tests. The extended schedule makes it easier for the school to schedule all the needed faculty and venues.

The drawbacks that I found were that I didn’t study more just because I had more time. I stressed more because I knew that I should study but if I did I would forget all the details by the time the test rolled around. It was very unfortunate really. Also, the lengthening of the test time meant that I could not travel. And while that sounds really selfish, it would have been nice to go up the garden route. My test schedule really meant that I couldn’t though.

But I am done finally with finals. I think all of them went fine. A few of the classes I was the first one done but no big surprise. I take tests fast because I make less mistakes that way by not over-thinking anything. I just always worry that my answers are not complete enough because none of the questions are ever multiple choice. Time will surely tell. But regardless I finally feel like I have a handle on this school. I know that I can succeed under any schooling system given time to adapt. I have learned a lot about my learning style and I feel like learning in a different atmosphere makes you learn not only particular subjects but also about yourself.

I am glad to go home to my university but I will always hold UCT in my heart as my other university, a home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment